Friday, November 5, 2010

Bad Judgement during the Mania part of Bipolar Disorder

The bad side of mania or hypomania is poor judgement and impulse control problems.

It is hard to write about these problems, because personal stories are often embarrassing.  It's hard to talk about the stuff you did when you weren't thinking right.

This is why for weekend reading I am suggesting that you read Darcie French's Dear Squidoo letter about the errors she made during a manic episode.

She describes her excessive happiness and hopefulness, her poor judgment, and her grandiose thoughts - all symptoms of mania.  What makes her story interesting is her insight into how she was thinking.  I really enjoyed reading her story and I hope that you do too!

So that's my weekend reading suggestion..... Have a happy weekend! :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Squidoo page. Just finished it and am just amazed not only at you but at Darcie for your openness about Bipolar. I tend not to talk about it much or gloss over it pretending it isn't a part of me even though it is a huge part of my life [and the life of my family]. Kuddos to you and will read your blog for future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! I am doing well most days.. a bit of hypomania and/or depression some days. Maybe 1 bad day out of every 10. But in general I'm coping with the usually stressful holiday season well.

    ReplyDelete