Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Do it Yourself Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Cognitive behavioral therapy is about changing how you think.  I've been trying to work on my thought patterns for quite some time, and recently I found a website that has lots of suggestions. 

The website is about Dialectical behavior therapy, which is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy that was designed for people with Borderline Personality Disorder.

The great thing is that it works for people with mood disorders too. 

If you're interested in how to mentally cope with the mood swings of Bipolar Disorder, you might benefit from these DBT Lessons.  The section on distress tolerance has great suggestions for how to make yourself feel better.  Some of the suggestions are things I've already been doing, and some are new to me. 

The section on Emotion Regulation is also helpful for anyone who experiences the extreme emotions of Bipolar Disorder.

Lots of helpful reading.

2 comments:

  1. I've just started taking a class in mindfulness CBT. I think it's helping somewhat, but it's also very stressful because I have ADHD. Every time the guided meditation tells me to "pay attention" to something I feel triggered, as if it's my fourth grade teacher yelling at me, yet again, for not "paying attention.

    CBT has a lot of value in terms of recognizing depressive thoughts, but it doesn't seem to teach strategies for coping when your mood suddenly tanks and you're already there. DCBT might do better with that. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete