Friday, November 4, 2011

I lost some weight recently.

That's right, I lost weight. Something that I didn't think was ever going to happen - at least not by accident. I just discovered it because my jeans became too loose and I am able to fit into pair of jeans that were too tight before!

I'm not sure what the cause is. I think it might be because I increased my daily supplement of GTF Chromium 200mcg from 2 pills a day to 3 pills a day.

Of course, I'm not sure if that's definitely the reason. My mood has also been really balanced lately, which I'm sure helps keep me from eating too much.

Plus, I'm not taking GTF Chromium for weight loss. I'm taking it because I want to avoid the ups and downs I feel from my blood sugar going to low. Even though I'm not diabetic (not even pre-diabetic), I feel that my body reacts strongly to changes in blood sugar levels. The chromium seems to help lessen the late-afternoon "I'm so hungry" feeling which is sometimes accompanied by anxiety, mood changes, shakiness, etc.

I think that my mood changes may have a connection to blood sugar... but when I test my blood sugar, it's fine. That is, last week after exercising I felt shaky, so I thought I had low blood sugar level. I tested myself and my blood sugar level was 90.   Low blood sugar symptoms aren't supposed to appear until you go into the 70s.  So perhaps my body is more sensitive to blood sugar changes than the norm.

Anyway, the higher dose of chromium seems to be working for me. My mood seems better and my appetite is less, however, I do continue to eat 6 times a day -
Breakfast
Lunch
Afternoon Snack
Dinner
Before Bed Snack

I can't imagine not eating 6x a day... I just prefer small, frequent meals to large ones.

Losing some weight has motivated me to try to keep the weight off (and perhaps even lose more) so now I've started to even be more careful about my eating habits.

I continue to wonder if there is some connection between Bipolar Disorder and blood sugar.   I've decided that I'm going to do what works for me, regardless of whether there is science to back it up.  I only had 3 "sick days" last month - that is, days where I definitely felt my bipolar symptoms. And the month before that, just 6 sick days.

No comments:

Post a Comment