Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cohesiveness

Being cohesive is something most of us take for granted.

These days I don't have any problem planning what I am going to do for the day and then going through my list and getting things done.

However, in the depths of my Bipolar, that wasn't always the case.


I remember days when my Bipolar was so bad that just the task of getting ready to leave the house was so difficult that I would get frustrated. I wasn't cohesive. I couldn't hold the thoughts together of what I needed to do before heading out the door.  Of course, that would make me frustrated.

Having a "door list" is good solution for the stuff you don't want to forget, like keys, wallet, glasses, etc.  However, a door list only goes so far... What if you can't remember what you need to do once you leave the house?

The opposite of cohesiveness is being scattered.  Thinking of one thing and then thinking of something else unrelated and having the thoughts come on so fast (or so slow) that is is hard to make sense of them.

Sometimes, it's helpful for me to look back on times when I wasn't doing so well, and be fortunate for how well I really am doing these days.  It's Thanksgiving this week and I am very fortunate for how much progress I have made.

1 comment: