Friday, February 12, 2010

A Bipolar Thought: Did I do Something Wrong?

I recently checked the book out of the library, Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder by Julie Fast.  I read Julie's blog, which is what made me interested in her book.

On page 43, there is a list of symptoms, including a list of "What Your Partner Thinks"

On this list, it says, "Did I do something wrong?"

This struck a chord with me, as it is one of the thoughts I have when my mood doesn't feel right. I always wonder, did I say something wrong, to upset my husband, or is it just me thinking that I did something wrong. A lot of the time, it is just me thinking that.

Why do people with Bipolar disorder have similar thoughts?

I didn't realize that this was a common bipolar thought. I thought maybe it was because I have trouble reading subtle clues like body language when I'm down or up, and sure, that might be part of the reason behind it.  But at least now I can know that it is a symptom and try to treat it like one.

Other Bipolar thoughts on her list:
Nothing I do is right. I've never done anything right.
I have no friends.
I'm fat (ugly, skinny, disgusting, etc).
Is this all there is?
Did I do something wrong?
People don't like me.
Things will never get better - never.
Things would be easier if I were dead.
Everything is difficult.
Projects are overwhelming. I can't do them.

Julie's book might be worth reading, especially if your partner just got diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. If you've been coping with it for a long time, then you may have already figured out some of the stuff in this book, but you might still come across some info that might help.

She's also the author of Get It Done When You're Depressed.  Since she has bipolar disorder, she speaks with experience. I think that's helpful!

Photo credit for the picture above goes to http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcobellucci/3534516458/

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm halfway through the book and I'm reading it because my partner is Bipolar. It is a helpful book and I'm glad you wrote about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete