Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Is Bipolar Disorder an Overreaction?

There are a lot of triggers in life, and some of them are so small that I don't like to acknowledge them as triggers. My rational mind doesn't want to say that "this small thing" is a trigger.  Because my rational mind knows that the small thing is no big deal, but my emotional mind doesn't always agree.  It's as if my emotional mind overreacts to little things.  I'll deny that it's effecting my emotional state, because rationally I know that it shouldn't, but I think I need to accept that what happens isn't always rational.

I'm going to start a list of my triggers, and I am going to teach myself to notice and accept them.  I think I need to learn that triggers are just part of this mental illness. They aren't indicative of a bigger problem in my life. But if I can recognize the triggers, then it will help me to understand why my mood changes so suddenly sometimes. I can't avoid all triggers, but I can plan for them, and hopefully minimize their effect.

Have you evaluated what triggers your mood episodes?  Do you accept that some triggers are not rational?

In a lot of ways, bipolar disorder is about overreaction.  If I had one way to describe what lithium helps me with, is that it minimizes my overreaction response.

3 comments:

  1. I agree totally. Bipolar Disorder is one big trigger overreaction. I realize at the time that a certain movie or book or stressful situation is going to bring on my symptom of "choice", hearing voices. But there's not a thing I can do about it. I know it's coming, but that doesn't stop it. The best I can do is get ready to handle the symptom when it shows up, then talk to my therapist about the situation and that seems to make it go away at least for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so helpful for me. We are trying to hold out as long as possible but I think my son will need Lithium at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could try salmon oils - 2000mg a day before lithium. It has helped stabalize my daughters moods.

    ReplyDelete